Many people who purchase property in Spain buy newly-built properties. There is also a large proportion buying older properties with a view to extending or remodelling the property. In either case it is important that the construction work is professionally monitored, which may well be in the purchasers’ or owners’ absence.
People often attempt to manage renovations and alterations themselves. Many will recognise that this process can be fraught with difficulties, even in the UK. When this process is combined with possible communication difficulties in agreeing a specification and appropriate terms of appointment there can be significant problems. Unfortunately, some of the resultant problems are very difficult and costly to resolve.
We are able to provide advice throughout the process, including the initial procurement of quotations, the appointment of the contractor, a periodic inspection program, agreement of the value of changes to your requirements and final inspections. A Chartered Surveyor can be available from inception through to completion. This can help to ensure that you have the best opportunity to achieve the right result at the right price and at the right time.
• Design development – helping to develop a client’s brief and to manage the production of the drawings and specifications (including assistance with the appointment of a suitable architect or technical architect if required).
• Contract and tender advice – A recommendation of the best procurement route when considering the particular circumstances or characteristics of the project.
• Tender documentation – To manage the preparation of the tender documentation.
•Tender Analysis – Detailed review of the tenders received including price and specification anomalies and a recommendation of the most suitable contractor.
• Construction Management or Monitoring – this can be a day-to-day supervisory role or a monitoring overview at regular intervals in order to ensure that the specification is correctly implemented and to report on project progress to the client.
• Cost Control – this is fundamental to the successful outcome of a project. Project expenditure is carefully monitored including a proactive change control procedure.
• Project Completion – A critical stage of the project in which the preparation of a detailed list of defects for remedy prior to handover is fundamental.
We are able to provide a full range of services so that you can choose whether you need help at the start of the building process, to monitor the works and produce progress reports during construction or to provide snagging lists at completion. You can, of course, choose individual services from a shopping list of options or opt for a comprehensive management package.
We recognize that it may be difficult at the outset for a client to see the benefits of employing a dedicated professional to manage the process on their behalf. However, this small investment can help to minimize the risk of programme delays, costly extras and conflict with the contractor regarding specification issues. A complete scope of services from contract negotiation through to completion would add a small percentage to the overall cost of the project but the benefits are invaluable to any client, particularly those who are unfamiliar with Spanish procedures or who live overseas.